Saturday, July 21, 2007

First Day of Half Marathon Training

So today is the first day of the new training plan. I'm following Hal Higdon's Novice Plan for Half Marathon. Slightly modified to bring everything 1 day ahead. This plan will peak in 12 weeks to have me ready for the World Wide Half, assuming no injuries and I am fit enough to keep up with the plan. Otherwise I have a couple of backup plans from CoolRunning.

I am using TrainingPeaks to track my progress, this looks like a very thorough training log website with the amount of info it lets me track. I am using the free version, if it looks GREAT i will pony up for the paid service which has all kinds of additional functionality for the geek inclined.

So this morning, planning my workouts for the week and it looks kinda like this:
Sun- PM - Strength (Upper) + Pilates + Hike up the Red Arrow
Mon - AM - 3mi run PM - Exercise bike +Abs
Tue - AM - 2mi Treadmill Run + Abs PM - Exercise Bike
Wed - AM - 3mi Run PM - BodyPump Class + Elliptical + Abs
Thu - Rest
Fri - AM - 30 Min Bicycle PM - Red Arrow + Exercise Bike + Abs
Sat - AM - 4mi Run + Elliptical + Hike

As well as running, I try to maintain a 3500/week calorie deficit to shift the last bit of weight to get down to my goal weight, therefore additional cardio work pretty much every day. Later I will be able to run long enough to burn the calories on my runs, but currently I don't have the endurance.

So that looks like an awful lot, but I like the AM/PM workouts. A great start to the day and plenty of time for working in between. Will see how it all goes :)

2 comments:

warriorwoman said...

I've just started my half marathon training too. I'll keep popping back to check your progress. Good luck.

Monnik said...

Hey! Great blog!

-Monnik, from your coolrunnings Comrades group.