Sunday, July 22, 2007

The view from the top

This is my 'nemesis hill' AKA the Red Arrow.


The view from the shelter shed view point at the top of the Red Arrow Walk at Mt Whitfield Conservation Park. This walk is 1.3 (.8mi) at a 100m elevation approximately. When i first attempted this walk about a year ago I had to stop 2-3 times to beathe. Somehow now I can do 4 laps non stop. Hooray!


As hikes go, it is an easy one, ashphalt paths and wooden steps. Very well trafficed on weekends and after work hours before dark. People of all ages and sizes do this walk. I have spoken to a lady who must have been in her 80s visiting Cairns, taken snaps for tourists at the top, and spoken with a dad with a tiny baby.

Local exercisers run the whole walk, up and down. I'm not quite there yet, but hopefully before I leave Cairns in 3 months or so. I think a lot of people use the track to train for the Pyramid Race too.

And so well worth the effort. The other view looks over the airport, so you can sit and watch the planes take off from Cairns International Airport for hours. It is so peaceful and a great break away from the keyboard and indoors. I've seen eagles soaring, and always cross the path of bush turkeys while surrounded by forest.

2 comments:

Monnik said...

Wow, you are an exercise machine! Good for you!!

Monnik said...

oops, meant to post this by your schedule instead of on this entry, but still....

these are great pictures of the view from the hill.